Forums at Guard.4Rs.org

You can be interactive on these pages and post your own news or calls for others to see.

DNS story from John Copeland

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      admin
      Keymaster

All, as you are aware I have always indicated that safety is our number 1 priority for the Chicago Lake shore swim. Unfortunately in discussion with the boat captains this morning it is felt that with other events in Lake Michigan next weekend (-a Boat party with boats coming in to Chicago that usually takes place in Aug- not previously mentioned by coast guard, city etc.) and with the high water levels and the number of incidents in Lake Michigan this year involving boats, that the risk level for swimmers and boats during the night portion exceeds a justifiable level and the boat support backed out for this occasion. I did not believe that I could adequately find alternatives and have the correct safety plan in place by Friday.

As you can imagine, this is not a decision taken lightly. I have spent 7 months planning, dealing with bureaucracy, 5 months training, 300+ miles in the water swimming and countless hours thinking about this while constantly saying safety comes first.

I was prepared for a DNF but not a DNS.

I will advise I am evaluating a shorter swim, closer to shore and only requiring kayak support as we do have approval to be in the water Friday night and the city lights from the lake are awesome

Thanks for all the support and I am sorry to disappoint

John

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
>