The swim test for lifeguard candidates goes something like this:
- Swim 500 yards (20 lengths) in under 10-minutes.
- Swim a 50-yard freestyle without goggles in under 33-seconds.
- After a dive, do an underwater kick of 25-yards without goggles.
- Brick return begins with a 15 yard swim, surface dive, pick-up the brick from the deep end and make it in 11-seconds or less.
- Two different types of brick towing happen for 50-yards, under a time of 1:10 or 1:15. One is kick on the back holding the brick with both hands. The other is kicking on the side with the brick on the hip.
- Two-minute treading with the brick in your hands.
This is not an official score-sheet and rules, but only a transcription of a conversation with a guard. So, your miles may vary. If you see an error, or have further details, write in the comments.